Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I know how much my parents love me and I believe that they are doing the best they can.

Proverbs 17:6 (New International Version)

Children's children are a crown to the aged,
and parents are the pride of their children

Stuck in between generations, I am a father and a son, it has taken me a lifetime to understand just what that means.

As a parent, you are so caught up in your life, work, and spouse; sometimes children may feel left out. You make decisions for them, set rules for them and provide reward and punishment like some omnipotent being. Most parents are concerned with the well-being of their child but sometimes fall short of listening to what they really need, because they are doing what's right or best in their mind. Taking time to talk to the child, understand their feelings and what makes them tick can be both rewarding and terrifying at times.

As a child, you learn to follow a schedule, do what your parents tell you to do and go to school to learn most everything else. Sometimes you don't understand why you are supposed to do things, like go to bed when you are not tired, avoid certain situations, or be educated in things you have no interest in.

This is where life gets interesting. It has been called many things: the generation gap, a communication void, a discipline issue, most of the time it is just the way life is.

Understanding the choices your parents make for you can be some of the hardest things to comprehend. Especially when you have peers being given just the opposite things as you. The world of electronics, cars, and even education have been a challenge for many parents as they decide whether you should have a cell phone and at what age, can they afford to buy you a car and then who pays for gas or insurance you or them? What college do you go to, and who pays the cost?

As a parent, I feel for the child when I see kids who have things my children do not, but life isn't always fair. I also see many children that do not even have the things that my children have, who should feel sorry for them?

The best thing to do as a parent is to give them what you can. Show you love them with hugs. Tell them you love them with words. And most of all spend time with them. Even if it just means sitting in a quiet room and talking about the day’s events.

The best thing to do as a child is to know that your parents love you. They may not always show it in the way that you would like, but they do. They wants what's best for you. When they yell or seem mad, it may be that your mom or dad is more frustrated that they can't do or make things the perfect world they want you to have. Then, it is not always a perfect world.

I love my children and I love my parent's just the way they are.




No comments:

Post a Comment